Diskutiere mit


Suspension Of Operations Agreement

The Manipur Centre and Government extended by six months the tripartite agreement to suspend the operation (SoO) with the two kuki fighter force groups, the United People`s Front (UPF) and the Kuki National Organization (KNO). The agreement, which was due to expire on 29 February 2020, was extended on Friday until 31 August 2020 at a joint meeting of representatives of the three parties in New Delhi. Eight members of the Kuki National Organisation (KNO) and the United People`s Front (UPF) also signed the agreement on behalf of various Kuki fighters, sources said. An agreement to ensure peace in Kuki-dominated areas of Manipur was signed by the center with two community activist groups, officials said Tuesday. As the agreement was due to expire on 31 August, state officials met with representatives of the two confederations in separate meetings. The first meeting was held on 17 August with REPRESENTATIVEs of the KNO and the second meeting with the UPF on Thursday. Representatives of the Centre did not attend the two meetings due to the COVID 19 pandemic. KNO and UPF signed the tripartite agreement with the Indian government and Manipur on 22 August 2008. Since then, the government has renewed the agreement. The suspension of the operation by the security forces will last another year until 31 August 2019, an Interior Ministry official said. On 22 August 2008, KNO and UPF signed a tripartite agreement with the Indian government and Manipur. Since then, the government has renewed the agreement after it expires. However, the basic rules set out in the agreement remain unchanged, the agreement says.

The tripartite agreement on the suspension of the operation (SoO) between the Indian government, the Manipur government and the two umbrella organizations of Kuki fighters, the United People`s Front (UPF) and the Kuki National Organization (KNO), is expected to be renewed for a further six months. “We held roundtable discussions with representatives of both confederations and discussed the extension of the SoO agreement. But confirmation of the extension will be made by the MHA,” said Rehanuddin Choudhry, Joint Secretary Home, Manipur. It is understood that, at the meetings, all parties agreed in the spirit of extending the SoO agreement for a further six-month period, until 28 February 2021. However, the final confirmation is made public by the Ministry of the Interior. Manipur last approved the trilateral agreement at its meeting on Saturday, sources added. On 15 March 2000, the Minister of the Interior of the Union announced in both Houses of Parliament the suspension of the operations of the security forces against the BLT. As part of this decision, taken by the central government in consultation with the Government of Assam, a tripartite meeting was held in New Delhi on 28 and 29 March 2000 between representatives of the Indian government, the Government of Assam and the BLT.

The official team led by Dr. P.D. Shenoy, Additional Secretary (Home), Ministry of the Interior, Government of India, met with BLT representatives under the leadership of Chimang Brahma – Chandan – Kamal Mushahary, Vice-President, BLT, to pave the way for lasting peace and to create an atmosphere conducive to further discussions in order to resolve the problems. Satyendra Garg, Joint Secretary (North East), Ministry of Home Affairs signed the agreement on behalf of the Indian government and K Radhashyam Singh, Special Secretary of Manipur (Home), signed the agreement on behalf of the Manipur government.